Saturday, March 15, 2014

Our 2014 Bird Selections Update

All my orders have been placed and are should be ready for pickup Easter weekend.

I was going to keep it really simple but my grand kids and wife had a little input.

6x White Chanteclers and 6x Ridley Bronze (turkeys) was my original plan. Then a couple my grand kids wanted more colour and selected Swedish Flower Hens (Blommehöns) (6x).  Added to that my wife has it in her head that white eggs are better tasting than brown.  So the white egg laying SFH fits in perfectly.  No two SFH's are the same so it will be easier for the grand kids to identify and name them.

Photo from Southern VA Poultry


The next problem was our egg supply wouldn't kick in until fall.  Enter 4x - 20 week old Ready-to-Lay red sex-link pullets.  Leghorn white layers were available but they are a bit skittish, so I took the calmer option. My wife (Chris) will have to wait until fall for white eggs ;-)

White Rock X meat birds will be purchased in the summer.  Not pulling the chicken tractor around in cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment