Saturday, February 22, 2014

Plans for 2014

After the meat bird experiment I've decided I want some real chickens.  So through the winter I've been researching.  

Chicken Choice #1 - Chantecler (pronounced: shant-e-clair)

This is a Canadian breed and is on the Rare Breeds Canada list.

The Chantecler breed was developed in the early 1900's by Brother Wilfred, a trappist monk in Oka Quebec who realized that Canada had no chicken breed of its own. He set out to develop a uniquely Canadian breed that would provide good eggs, meat, and could withstand harsh cold climates.
Breeds that went into development of the original White Chantecler include the Dark Cornish, White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, White Wyandotte, and White Plymouth Rock. The White Chantecler was admitted into the APA Standard of Perfection in 1921.

Chantecler hen from 1926
Not my birds, a breeders out west.
Chicken Choice #2 - ?

Not sure yet, but I want 4 ready to lay birds (around 20 weeks old) so I can get eggs asap.  Breeds I will consider are Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, & White Leghorn.  If I can't find any of these by the beginning of April I'll order red Sex-Links from a hatchery.

Chicken Turkey Choice #3 - Ridley Bronze Turkey

This is a Canadian breed and is on the Rare Breeds Canada list. Just doing my bit to save rare canadian poultry.

Ridley Bronze chicks
Hen in the foreground

Ridley Tom
So I have ordered 6 Chantecler chicks and 6 Ridley Bronze chicks from Performance Poultry.  Pickup date is 21/22 April.

Just got to build a couple of coops.



No comments:

Post a Comment